Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gluten-Free Recipes: Chicken Corn Chowder | Submitted By: MJ West

1 chicken carcass1 bay leaf2 tablespoons butter1 onion, diced3 shallots, diced2 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled2 tablespoons dried parsleysalt and pepper to taste2 potatoes, peeled and diced1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels2 tablespoons heavy creamPlace chicken carcass (and any leftover skin and meat and other bones) in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 60 to 90 minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and strain. Remove chicken meat from carcass, and chop into bite-size pieces. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and shallots in butter until translucent. Pour in strained broth and chicken meat and stir in bouillon, parsley, salt, pepper, potatoes and corn. Simmer 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked and corn is tender. Remove from heat and stir in cream.  view all reviews »

The reviewer gave this recipe 5 stars. This recipe averages a 4.5 star rating. This was very good, although I did alter the recipe a bit to make it healthier. I used 3 cups skim milk and 2 cups of chicken broth, then added my potatoes, corn (a mixture of sweet corn and regular corn), and spices. I sauteed the onion with cut up chicken breasts, then added that to the soup. I also added several dashes of thyme, oregano, and onion powder. If you let this soup simmer for about an hour, the potatoes become mealy and thicken the soup tremendously without having to use heavy cream as the thickener. I felt that it needed quite a bit of pepper, which was nicely offset by the sweet corn. My whole family enjoyed this chowder and I'll gladly make it again. Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
99 users found this review helpful This was very good, although I did alter the recipe a bit to make it healthier. I used 3 cups... The reviewer gave this recipe 4 stars. This recipe averages a 4.5 star rating. I modified this recipe as others have suggested (thanks!). I sauteed the onion and shallots in butter in a soup pot, then added four chicken breasts with all fat removed, a 32 oz box of chicken broth, additional water to cover chicken (about 2 cups), and boiled until the chicken was cooked and tender. Then I shredded the chicken with two forks right in the pot. I added 2% milk to reach the desired consistency, and also added thyme, onion powder, scant cayenne pepper, and a dash or oregano; I upped the potatoes to 4, and simmered for 45 mins. to let soup thicken and flavors meld. We served the soup with finely shredded 2% milk cheddar on top. Not a true chowder but quite delicious, and definitely not a bad bet calorie-wise! Was this review helpful? [ YES ]
15 users found this review helpful I modified this recipe as others have suggested (thanks!). I sauteed the onion and shallots in...

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment